Saturday 19 January 2008

mental blocks and musicians...

On Wednesday I have a gig - the first I've played in some time. In fact, only my second proper solo gig. My first was in Huddersfield. I did do an open mic night in Marylebone in October, but that was only two songs...

So my difficulty comes in choosing what songs to play. I fell out with a number of my songs some time ago, so I'm struggling to pick which to play. Autumn, Zihuatanejo, Ichi-go-Ichi-e (一期一会), theARTFULbastard and Ode To The Hudd will probably make appearances, along with a number of covers.

As luck would have it, I have recruited a bassist for the night. Rory Holland will be joining me on stage to provide a bit of backing... might try to get him on backin vocals too...!


Have you ever suffered writer's block, though? It's a true curse... I have had writers block for months now. I have managed to compose one entire song in the last 6 months, along with partially finished lyrics and melodies. It's incredibly frustrating!

Where to get inspiration?!

To be perfectly honest, I miss playing in a band. I think it is much more fun and satisfying to have people backing you. I used to front a punk band back in Huddersfield called The Disaffected. We wrote our own songs, and even recorded a three track CD in a local studio. Despite the fact that the songs were fairly basic, and we lacked talent, the buzz of playing a gig backed by three mates gave me such a buzz. A feeling of taking on the world.

My bassist (and good friend), Stonnie found a video last month of the band, which dated back to about 2003, showing us recording our CD and practicing in the garage of the guitarist, and it got me all nostalgic.

In my time I have played in a number of bands, and it's always great. So that might have to be my next step... Goodbye solo act, hello band! We'll see..

Songs of the week (well, second half of the week)

Manic Street Preachers - Prologue To History = fantastic opening, and wonderful political song. Really strong lyrics in this one. 'Remember ethnic cleansing in the highlands - no-one says a thing in the middle of En-ger-land'

The Clash - Safe European Home = Joe Strummer at his best. Debating doing an acoustic verse of this. I love the outro, Joe and Mick singing completely different things together... Rudi Rudi Rudi!

そして、今週の日本のソング!

ムラマサ ー 雨が止んだなら = 美しいボーカルメロディー
ミッシェル・ガン・エレファント ー ピンク = すごい! アベのギターはとても上手だよ!

No comments: