Tuesday 15 January 2008

A musical blog

I've been lamenting my lack of gig attendence since I hit London. I fully intended to go to as many as possible, and play as many a possible, and so far all I've managed is Brett Anderson at the Southbank Centre and Manic Street Preachers at Brixton Academy. Granted both were amazing - Brett Anderson with a string Octet was beautiful, and Manics were godlike as always! But I feel I'm letting my side down...

So 2008 is a gig year for me, I have decided! 16th Feb will see me heading back to Brixton for the Dropkick Murphys - for those who don't know them, they are an excellent American Punk band with Celtic influence, hailing from Boston. I last saw them at Manchester Academy in 2003/04 (I forget!). Any band that can integrate bagpipes and a mandolin in to great punk anthems gets my vote! So join me at Brixton on the 16th Feb!

Quite what else is coming up, I have yet to discover, so should be able to let you know by this Friday.

Next week sees me performing in Manchester at Jabez Clegg. I'm supporting a friend's band - the excellent Destroy The Evidence - who you can listen to at www.myspace.com/destroytheevidenceveinforest (check out The Apparitions - excellent song). I'm playing an acoustic solo set, sometime after 7 on the 23rd (Weds). Problem is, I feel I'm lacking my own songs - I fell out with one or two of them some time ago, so could do with writing a few more.

Songs of the week for Jordan:
* Erika - Destination Nowhere: Great tune from this Japanese singer. Used as the theme tune to the recent J-Drama 'Mop Girl'. Really lifting song.
* Northern Uproar - From A Window: Excellent Britpop anthem, great guitars, great northern band.
* Regina Spektor - Us: Possibly the most beautiful song ever written. Captured me the moment I first heard it, sung by a performer in London.
* My Vitriol - Taprobane/Losing Touch: Gorgeous - amazing use of guitars and effects. But where's the second album?!

No comments: